Saturday, May 11, 2013

Nothing half hearted about this smile!

Jacob moved to Parent Care on Thursday afternoon, and so I went back to Ronald McDonald  House and packed a bag for myself and for him.  I am now officially a temporary resident of Sick Kids hospital.  Key word = temporary.  I want to go home with my baby boy and big girl and snuggle with them all day long.  Jacob is a good little sleeper, he sleeps most of the night despite his hourly vital checks by the nurse which involve him being partially stripped down and prodded all over.

Starting on Monday Jacob has been having bloody stool bowel movements and overnight they started to transition to a more brown colour so the doctors are thinking it may be old blood now.  Two abdominal x rays, a bowel ultrasound, bloodwork and holding his feeds for 24 hours have resulted in no answers for us yet.  They doctors have him on NEC watch, and are continually assessing him to be sure nothing has worsened.  Jacob's vitals are great, oxygen levels are holding steady and they are otherwise happy with his progress.  They restarted his feeds, thankfully, but only breastmilk for now - to rule out an allergy to the formula.  It's 24-48 hours for lab reports to return, so we're still waiting on that as well.  Wait, wait, wait.  Wonder, wonder, wonder.  That's what we've been doing since Thursday morning.  And it's not frustrating at all - sarcasm intended :)



Jacob has been morphine free since Friday morning at 6 am.  He has been fussy and irritable at times, but this seems to be caused by his stomach irritation and trouble getting his poop out.  I'm hoping to close the book on the morphine withdrawal once and for all.

Today we are missing a birthday party for one of Georgia's friends at home, and tomorrow is Mother's Day.  When we first arrived I had hoped that we would be home by Mother's Day, but it's now here and the end is not in sight yet.  And that is ok - as long as Jacob is doing well, and we are making slow progress in that direction.  I'm going to do my best to make the most of Mother's Day tomorrow - because I know I am incredibly lucky to have my boy with me despite all he has been through.  Jon has promised me a meal of nachos - that gives me something else to look forward to.  On Thursday when I went back to RMH to pack my bag, the PAWs program dog was there and I sat down and had a cuddle with her.  The dog brought tears to my eyes, and all I could think about with Lukey waiting for me at home.  We're coming back big boy, don't worry about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment