Saturday, September 6, 2014

Your Grace is enough for me.

This has been an eventful week for our family.  Our big girl started Kindergarten.


Georgia went to school with only a little nervousness, and much more excitement.  I knew she was ready for it, and I felt like I was ready for it too - but I cried outside her locker on the first day.  I pushed back my tears quickly though, left her in her classroom and walked away.  That part was hard! I hope this year is a positive beginning to her education.  I pray that she will be safe and happy, and that her teacher will see her as a shining star and nurture her in the way that she needs.   I'm claiming Jeremiah 29:11 as Georgia's verse for this school year...

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Love you, little princess.  Oh, and if you can't read the final line on the picture above, it says "When I grow up I want to be a mermaid." Dream big, my dear, dream big :)



Last night I put Jake in the tub, which may just be his favourite place in the whole world, and before I did that I put him on his scale.  I've not been weighing him as frequently as I used to, because the frustration that I felt when there was no weight gain, or there was weight lost, was just putting pressure on us to further develop his eating/drinking skills.  But last night I weighed him for the first time in a week - and the scale that has been reading 20 lb 2 oz for at  least the last month said this...


Then it was time for a dance party in Jake's room! YES! I honestly felt like he wouldn't reach 21 lbs until he was 2 years old :) Love being proven wrong at times like this.



We spent the last weekend of summer at Camp Starrigan with our church family, and had a wonderful time despite Georgia getting sick and running a fever for the last day and a half we had there.  Once the tylenol was taken she was outside running around again, so it turned out alright.  My favourite picture is from the 70's night...Check this out, are we stylin' or what?



We still have not gotten a surgery date from Sick Kids for Jake's G Tube, but I'm holding out hope that it will be soon.  We discovered earlier in the summer that Jake is allergic to duoderm, a barrier tape used to help keep skin from getting irritated by the NG.  The dermatologist told me that these allergies often develop over time because of long term use of the tape.  Today we discovered that Jake is likely also allergic to hypafix, which is what we have taped his face with since day 1.  I did a routine tape change and found this underneath:



Oh, it breaks my heart.  We then tried Tegaderm to tape the NG on the opposite cheek, but it wouldn't stick well although we reapplied it 3 times.  Then we moved on to dermapore tape, which didn't stick the first time either but seems to be sticking now.  It's been a hard day with a lot of unpleasantness and torture for both Jake and us.  I'll do the spot allergy test with hypafix this week so see if it is actually an allergy or something else.  His skin is looking a little better now, and his good spirits are back...but I feel traumatized and like I need a week in bed to recover from the torturing I did to that sweet boy today.  It's a terrible feeling and makes me so sad.  We managed to make it to the Temple's Rally Day despite the terribleness of the afternoon...This cuteness cheers me up without fail...but still I feel so guilty for all he is going through.  It seems so unnecessary and pointless to be tortured over tape.  :(



My head is still pounding from the headache I got putting the NG in and taping it repeatedly in place, but instead of giving in to the sadness and heartache I am finding strength in God's word again.

2 Corinthians 12:9:

9 But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.


God's grace is enough.  We sang this one at our Corps retreat last week, and I know it to be true.  God's grace in my life today is shown when my sadness and weakness with dealing with Jake's new skin irritations are translated into me finding the strength to deal with it, and the comfort of knowing that God is in control.  I am inherently weak and flawed - I openly admit that.  But I also openly admit that I can be strong through God's grace.  Without my weakness I would not be open to the strength and comfort that God wants to provide for the trials in my life.  Would I prefer that there be no trials in  my life? - of course! But every one has trials and tribulations, they come in many shapes and forms.  I would much rather embrace my life with it's hard days and find strength in my faith, than I would try to find the solutions on my own.  I cannot imagine the loneliness I would feel from facing this life alone.  

The in honour clinic for Jake is being held by Canadian Blood Services in St. John's on September 18 at the Wicklow Street location from 11-7.  Come on down if you live locally and are able to donate blood, we'd love to see you there.  Jake will be there most of the afternoon for sure.  Here's a copy of the poster that is circulating:



Those of you who have been praying for baby Owen, thank you for that! Owen is now on the 4D recovery ward at Sick Kids, and his parents are able to provide most of his care finally.  He's a miracle baby...keep him and his parents Grace and Cory in your prayers please!

And in running news, look at this! Laura ran her first official race for Jake...We love our IRun4 runner!


Go team Superbaby!

No comments:

Post a Comment