Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My big girl

Jake's big sister Georgia is one amazing little girl.  Georgia's life has been turned upside down repeatedly over the last 7 months, and we have been constantly amazed with how well she has handled it.  That's not to say there haven't been bumps in the road, but for a four year old I think Georgia has proved to be a real trooper.  Since we returned from SickKids this time, a lot of my worry and anxiety has been focused on Georgia.  There was a short period of time when Georgia vented her frustration by writing on anything and everything she could when she would find a pen/crayon/permanent marker around the house, but thankfully this phase seems to have ended.  The other obvious difference was that our independent girl became a little clingy, and needy - to the point where if Jon or I were not in the room with her she would sometimes cry and say that she thought we had left her.  But it's been about a week since the last time that happened, so I'm hoping that ship has sailed as well.  Today Jon and I booked Georgia's birthday party at the place she requested, despite it costing more than we would usually spend - we talked about it and decided that after the year she has had it won't hurt to treat her for her 5th birthday.  This is also the last year I have my sweetheart to myself, as she will start Kindergarten in 2014.  My smart, funny, beautiful little girl is growing up fast.  It's an enormous weight off my shoulders that Georgia does not blame or resent Jake at all for any of the changes in her life.  She loves her baby brother unconditionally, and his face lights up when she walks into the room.

Today Jake had his 4 month immunizations.  He's 7 months old now, but behind the immunization schedule because of his surgeries.  Jake really got upset with me and the nurse during his appointment today, it was unusual for him but the nurse said that one of the vaccines causes a stinging sensation so that was likely the culprit.  When Jake had his 2 month immunization (at 4 months old), he was on the 4th percentile for size.  Today Jake outdid himself and landed at the 37th percentile - I was so relieved by that.

Feeding boot camp officially starts for Jake on Friday.  This should be interesting.  Jake is now eating cereal and a veggie each day.  He loves carrots and sweet potatoes, next on my list to try is parsnip so hopefully I can make that by the weekend.  We saw our cardiologist on Tuesday, and now we have a 3 week period until our next visit for a sedated echo.  3 weeks! That will be the longest period in his life that Jake has gone without seeing Cardiology.  Woo hoo :)

I know that many prayer warriors read this blog, and today I want to ask for prayer for another heart baby named Sara.  I have mentioned Sara on the blog before and to make a long story short, Sara had to be rushed to SickKids for open heart surgery much earlier than expected because of complications.  Sara's surgery went well, but in Cardiac Critical Care she has taken a turn for the worse and desperately needs our prayers.  I spoke to Sara's mom Danielle today, and she sounds totally devastated but through her words you can also hear strength.  A heart Mom is a very special kind of mother.  Please pray that the Lord will hold Sara in the palm of his hand, keep her safe and heal her tiny body.  Pray also for strength and comfort for Danielle and Dave as they deal with the day to day reality of having a sick child.

No comments:

Post a Comment