Saturday, April 27, 2013

The God of the good times


The day of Jacob's Norwood Surgery I posted that his lovely nurse Vanessa had covered his open chest with a Super Baby symbol.  I wanted to share the image with you all - this has become one of my favourite symbols and that piece of gauze one of my most prized possessions   There is also a batman version that was made by Vanessa the day Jacob had his emergency surgery - I'm saving that one for another post!

This journey  has been a roller coaster - ups and downs, spirals and moments of heart stopping terror - but the past two days have been on the up swing, thankfully!  The day after my last post Jacob's fever broke, his white blood cell count returned to normal, and he was a  much happier baby.  Today Jacob got the final drainage tube out of his chest, so now all that remains are 3 IVs in his legs.  It is possible that 2 of these may come out tomorrow, but there has to be one IV line left in to administer his medicines.  As of today Jacob is off the TPN nutritional supplement, and the Lipids (fat) that were being given in place of breastmilk, and is up to full feeds with my milk through his feeding tube.  That's a giant step in the right direction! Jacob is still on Sipap, so he's breathing on his own but needs extra oxygen and relief of the pressure with this Sipap machine.  In order to take him off of Sipap his oxygen levels need to stabilize - this has been a real issue ever since Jacob's Norwood surgery.  We can't move to 4D or come home until this is resolved.  Jacob is my super baby, I have no doubt that he will reach that point, but I think he is determined to do that on his own timeline.  If you are looking for a focus point for your prayer when thinking of Jacob, these oxygen levels are our biggest concern at the moment.

On a lighter note, Jacob did the largest poop of his life today - it shot right out of his diaper and ruined a receiving blanket! The nurse had fun cleaning that one up!  My big boy is too long for 0-3 onesies or sleepers, so I had to head to the store and get him some bigger clothes - I think he may take after his Poppa with his height.

My Mom and Georgia returned to NL 2 days ago, and they are sorely missed.  Mom, I would absolutely love to sit down for a cup of tea and some chocolate with you right at this moment.  Thank you for everything, most especially for keeping my sweet girl happy! Everything has been too quiet and too tidy without Georgia here, and I miss the smiles that she always brings to the room.  I love you baby girl, try not to give Nanna and Poppa too much trouble :)

As I was thinking about the day, and Jacob's progress, these words popped into my head:

The God of the good times is still God in the bad times
And the God of the day is still God in the night.

I have been singing these words in church all of my life - and it was only today that I truly understood what they meant.  Through Jacob's highs and lows I have been taught this lesson over and over again.  Thank you God for your faithfulness!

No comments:

Post a Comment